Chafing. The dreaded word. From being mildly irritating to completely derailing your day, chafing is quite a nuisance. By definition, chafing is a skin condition that occurs when skin rubs against skin or against clothing for a long period of time.
It is most likely to happen in areas of the body that sweat a lot and that undergo extensive movement or stress. Chafing is a leading reason behind skin infections and other issues. It especially affects individuals who exert themselves physically regularly. However, you can overcome chafing and pursue your fitness goals comfortably. Want to know? Read on!
Causes of Chafing
The repeated rubbing of the skin against the skin itself or against any kind of fabric makes it vulnerable to any kind of damage. While repeated rubbing is a causational factor, moisture is what accelerated the process and makes chafing far more likely. The main causes of chafing can be understood as follows:
- Exercising: Chafing is common among athletes and other individuals who indulge in physical activity regularly. These individuals sweat a lot and put their bodies through intense activities, leading to repeated rubbing of the skin, which eventually leads to chafing.
- Increased weight: Being overweight can also cause chafing. Individuals will have extra folds in their skin, allowing for more areas where chafing can occur.
- Poor-fitting Fabric: Wearing ill-fitting clothes can also cause chafing. Clothes that are too tight can constantly cause friction with the skin, leading to irritation.
- Diapers: Toddlers and the elderly can suffer from diaper rash or chafing due to diapers.
- Weather: Weather also plays an important role. Hot and humid weather is most likely to cause chafing, as it makes the human body sweat excessively.
Most Common Areas Where Chafing Occurs
Chafing near the breast
The space around and below a person’s breasts are conducive to the occurrence of chafing. This area might experience multiple types of contact that can cause the issue. Nipple chafing is also a common concern for people who breastfeed.
Armpits are another hotspot for chafing. With our arms moving about constantly and sweat gathering under them, our armpits are under immense stress the entire day. This can, in many cases, lead to chafing, causing discomfort and pain.
Chafing Near the Inner Thigh
Remember that sharp pain between your legs as you ran to collect the ball after a long day of football? Constant running, jogging, or even walking can cause the inner thighs to rub against each other or against clothing, leading to chafing.
The groin area mostly remains covered. The area collects a lot of moisture, leading to a conducive environment for the development of chafing. The skin, too, is sensitive around this area making it very vulnerable to chafing.
Chafing Around Your Butt
Yep, even your butt can face chafing! It can prevent you from sitting or lying down on your back. Think of it like sitting or resting on a bed of coals. This usually occurs in the folds of the skin where your buttocks meet your thighs.
From sneakers to Yeezys, our feet are always snuggled into some type of footwear as we roam the world. But, this can lead to severe skin irritation that can prevent you from walking or jogging. This usually occurs when you stay in shoes for a long period, walk or run in footwear across long distances, or use ill-fitting footwear. Chafing near the feet is also very common during the summer.
Chafing Symptoms: What Are They?
- Bumps around the area
- Stinging sensation
- Feeling hot or cold around that area
- Cracked skin
How Can You Overcome Chafing?
As highlighted previously, chafing can turn into a serious issue if it isn’t addressed promptly. Moreover, it will impede your daily functioning in a significant manner. Here’s how you can overcome chafing on your own:
- Avoid strenuous activity until the chafing reduces. We know that you love your workouts, but giving your body a bit of a rest is a key part of ensuring that you are in optimal shape to reach greater heights!
- Hygiene, hygiene, hygiene! – The only mantra to prevent and heal chafing is to maintain hygiene. Regularly clean vulnerable areas of your body and ensure that you change outfits and footwear regularly. Pro tip: Keep your socks clean!
- Home remedies include aloe vera gel or a small coating of any kind of petroleum jelly. You could also use any ointment or balm that a professional suggests you use as part of your chafing treatment plan.
The Role of Proper Clothing in Preventing Chafing
Ill-fitting or non-specialized clothing is a leading cause of chafing among people. Innerwears are the most notorious in this category. Physically exerting yourself or just getting through a strenuous day while wearing regular underwear can cause a lot of discomfort. Regular innerwear is not meant to handle the pressures of extensive exertion.
Specialized innerwear, like the ones TRYB offers, can help an individual overcome issues like chafing. TRYB’s products are specially crafted to enhance athletic performance, prevent the collection of moisture in the groin area, and are bolstered by anti-chafing technology.
While you can overcome chafing, the smart thing to do would be to prevent it from happening in the first place by using our products! Join the TRYB